Image Guided Abdominal Mass Biopsy - Benefits and Risks
- Image guided abdominal mass biopsy is a reliable method of obtaining tissue samples and can help diagnose if a suspicious tumor is benign (non-cancerous) or malignant.
- Image guided abdominal mass biopsy is less invasive than open and closed surgical biopsies.
- Typically, the procedure is not painful and the results are as accurate as when the tissue sample is removed surgically.
- Recovery time is brief and patients can soon resume their usual activities.
- Any procedure where the skin is penetrated carries the risk of infection.
- There is always a slight chance of cancer from excessive exposure to radiation. However, the benefit of an accurate diagnosis will generally outweigh the risk.
- Women should always inform their radiologist or technologist if there is any possibility that they are pregnant.