Image Guided Abdominal Mass Biopsy- About the Exam
Mountain Medical offers CT image guided abdominal mass biopsy performed by their board-certified radiologists. Image guided abdominal mass biopsy allows radiologists to remove tissue from the abdomen in order to examine it for disease. This exam allows radiologists to get a more accurate placement of the needle to get the best tissue sample.
What you can expect during a image guided abdominal mass biopsy:
- The technologist will ask you to lie down flat on the examination table.
- A limited CT scan will be performed to confirm the location and the safest approach.
- Once the site is confirmed, the entry site is marked on the skin, then scrubbed, disinfected, and a clean sterile drape will be applied.
- A small, superficial incision is made in the skin and the needle is inserted by the radiologist. Imaging guidance will be used to direct the needle to the appropriate site to sample the tissue.
- The needle will then be removed and the small incision will be covered with a dressing.
- An image guided abdominal mass biopsy is typically completed in an hour.
Learn how to prepare for image guided abdominal mass biopsy.
Learn the benefits and risks of image guided abdominal mass biopsy.