Neck CT Angiogram- Benefits and Risks
- Neck CT angiogram is a convenient and noninvasive way of evaluating the blood vessels and tissues in the neck.
- Neck CT angiography can detect narrowing or obstruction of blood vessels allowing for potentially corrective therapy to be done.
- Many patients can undergo a neck CT angiogram instead of a conventional catheter angiography.
- No radiation remains in a patient’s body after a neck CT angiogram.
- X-rays used in neck CT angiogram should not have immediate side effects.
- There is always a slight chance of cancer from excessive exposure to radiation. However, the benefit of an accurate diagnosis will generally outweigh the risk.
- The effective radiation dose for this procedure varies.
- Women should always inform their radiologist or technologist if there is any possibility that they are pregnant.
- Neck CT angiogram is, in general, not recommended for pregnant women unless medically necessary because of potential risk to the baby.
- The risk of serious allergic reaction to contrast materials can occur, but is extremely rare.
Watch the CT - What to Expect Video.