Image Guided Abdominal Abscess Drainage - Benefits and Risks
- No surgical incision is needed- only a small superficial incision in the skin that will not require stitches after the exam.
- Any procedure where the skin is penetrated carries a risk of infection, however the chance of infection requiring treatment is very small.
- There is a very slight right of allergic reaction to contrast material.
- Very rarely, an adjacent organ may be damaged.
- Occasionally bleeding may occur.
- The catheter placed may become blocked or displaced requiring changing of the catheter. In addition, a very large fluid collection may require more than one abscess drain.