Neck CT- Benefits and Risks
- Neck CT imaging is a convenient and noninvasive way to evaluate problems in the neck.
- Neck CT imaging takes little time and causes no pain. Neck CT imaging may require injection of contrast material.
- No radiation remains in a patient's body after a CT examination.
- X-rays used in standard CT exams have no immediate side effects.
- There is always a slight chance of cancer from excessive exposure to radiation. However, the benefit of an accurate diagnosis will generally outweigh the risk.
- The effective radiation dose for this procedure varies.
- Women should always inform their physician or technologist if there is any possibility that they are pregnant.
- Neck CT imaging is, in general, not recommended for pregnant women unless medically necessary because of potential risk to the baby.
Watch the CT - What to Expect Video.