Maxillofacial CT & Sinus CT- Benefits and Risks
- Maxillofacial CT and Sinus CT imaging is a convenient and noninvasive way of evaluating head trauma or other problems in the face, head or sinus.
- The exam takes little time, causes no pain, and does not require injection of contrast material.
- No radiation remains in a patient's body after a maxillofacial CT or sinus CT.
- X-rays used in standard maxillofacial CT and sinus CT have no immediate side effects.
- A CT exam of the face and head will increase the chance of recovery.
- There is always a slight chance of cancer from excessive exposure to radiation. However, the benefit of an accurate diagnosis will generally outweigh the risk.
- The effective radiation dose for this procedure varies.
- Women should always inform their radiologist or technologist if there is any possibility that they are pregnant.
- CT imaging is, in general, not recommended for pregnant women unless medically necessary because of potential risk to the baby.
Watch the CT - What to Expect Video.