Carotid Ultrasound- Benefits and Risks
- Carotid ultrasound is noninvasive and painless.
- Carotid ultrasound is extremely safe and does not use any ionizing radiation.
- Ultrasound imaging gives a clear picture of soft tissues that do not show up well on x-ray images.
- If a radiologist discovers narrowing of one or both carotid arteries, treatment can be taken to restore free flow of blood to the brain.
- Many strokes are prevented as a result of carotid ultrasound.
- For standard diagnostic ultrasound, there are no known harmful effects on humans.
- Carotid ultrasound has proven to be a risk-free procedure.